Idea: Who was first on Facebook?

Like many people I fought Facebook‘s calling until I couldn’t stand my friends’ nagging anymore. Which makes me wonder, who of my friends were first?

While looking at the Facebook Graph API I noticed you can easily get someone’s friends list. Just check the link and scroll down to “Friends:”. If you click it you’ll get a JSON list with your friends name and ID. Noting that Mark Zuckerberg has ID 4, it seems like a simple incremental increase for every user.

So it all comes down to which of your friends has the lowest ID (oldest member), and the highest ID (newest member).

The idea is to have a simple site, or app, that looks through your Facebook friends list and shows you who was first, last, and compares it to you.

Idea: When can you meet?

I always find it fascinating how hard it can be to book a meeting or getaway with more than two people. Person A can these dates, person B can those dates, and person C can some other dates. Where does it overlap?

The idea is to have a simple site with a calendar. Someone starts an event and selects a few proposed dates, then enter the emails to the people who are invited (or if it’s a Facebook app, just select the friends). They can then accept the dates or propose their own. This can go on for a while. When everyone’s answered (at least once) an email is sent out to everybody with the dates that everyone can make it on.

My friend Torbjörn had a funny name name for this project: Meeteor, but it’s already taken. Any other suggestions?

Do something useful with gamerDNA

This is a bit of a different blog post than my microproject posts are about. This is actually a challenge to YOU. Make something useful with gamerDNA‘s Helix API. GamerDNA tracks gamers Xbox and Playstation accounts to find trends in what people play, when, how many achievements they get, etc. They then make this data available through the Helix API.

 

One of the things they themselves have done is Tweet My Gaming.

 

At some point I’ll post some of my own ideas on what to do with it.

Idea: A byteproject about microprojects

One downside to doing microprojects is since it’s so fast, you can do so many. Wait, how is this bad? Well, it’s hard to keep track of them and promote them. A website without visitors is pretty useless. Well, actually that’s not true because they can serve a purpose for the author (like this blog).

A little bigger project, a “byteproject“, is creating a website that lists microprojects. It’s supposed to be really easy to add projects, and have basic Web 2.0 functionality as ratings and such. A little bit likeOpenSourceRails, or my megaproject Indie Games Portal.

Maybe the base for Indie Games Portal can be used to create this site. Like ModDB used their base to build IndieDB.

The birth of “microproject”

Me and my friends defined the term “micro projects” as something you can do in a few hours, or at most a weekend. It’s for side/hobby projects.

We’ve probably done a lot of them before, but our first defined ones were the Kickass Kirk and Smartass Spock parody websites. It took a day, roughly.

I hope to have some time to do some microprojects, but for now I’ll blog about them in the microprojects category.

Idea: HTML entities and me

Today I was working on moving a site from a proprietary ecommerce platform to Magento. That includes some static CMS pages. The old sites includes a lot of “å” and other Swedish characters. That’s not web safe, it just doesn’t always show up correctly.

I’ve been in this situation before, doing 6 search-replace calls on a text to catch å, ä, ö, Å, Ä, Ö. In HTML they’re entities and need to be written as a code between & and ;. So “å” is “å”.

This happens from time to time and I think it happens to you too.

So a microsite I thought of is just a big text field and a optional upload text button. Enter your regular text with characters, and get the safe version with html entities.

ThumbView 2

Quite some time ago I released ThumbView. It was back in 2004 and at the time of writing it’s got exactly 116 900 downloads over at SourceForge. It’s a Windows Shell Extension, which means it extends some functionality in Windows. In ThumbView’s case it extends the image file preview support in Explorer. Windows just supports BMP, JPEG and GIF (some other). Many people, like me, use other image formats like TGA, PNG, and DDS.

I released two versions: “Lite” aimed at the standard user, and the regular for pros (I should’ve just called it “Pro”). Lite included a standard pack of 19 image formats, and the regular version had a plug-in system so you could support even more image formats if you wrote a image reader for it.

Back in 2004… Vista wasn’t released, and obviously not Win 7 either. Vista still supported the IExtractImage interface ThumbView is based on, but Win 7 doesn’t – so ThumbView doesn’t work in Win 7. I’ve (re)started working on ThumbView 2 a few times, one time I got pretty far. Now I’m at it again. It’s made in C#, using .NET 2.0 and implementsIThumbnailProviderThere’s a great tutorial that I followed.

Let’s hope I finish it this time! smiley